I’ve been dreaming about travel since the first time I saw a picture of Greece, particularly a small town built into the craggy hills of the island, adorned with bright blue doors.
But all that jet-setting isn’t very green, and I’d hate to promote tourism in places that are heavily impacted, environmentally, by careless tourists.
Here are 10 tips for eco-conscious travels:
1. Choose locally owned tour operators who hire local workers
2. Make an effort to understand local politics and history
3. Learn basic phrases of the language to help cultural conservation
4. Bring refillable water bottles
5. Be respectful of the price for local handicrafts when bartering
6. Bring your batteries, plastic bottles and other recyclables home with you
7. Walk or take public transportation whenever possible
8. Frequent local restaurants and businesses, eschew the franchises!
9. Research ecotourism certifications for outfitters and lodging
10. Engage in carbon offsetting options for travel.
When appreciating local scenery and environments, be very aware of how you may be impacting the area, and treat it as if you were a guest (which you are!).