01 December 2007

WalkScore, Now DriveScore?

shared by EcoDeaf contributor, Stephen:

My walk score is just 20 so as you see my present neighborhood is not very walkable. This service can be especially useful for those who are going to buy a house because it can help to estimate a particular location. But how often do we walk nowadays? I've found one more service called Drive Score at http://drivescore.fizber.com/

With it one can see how close establishments are by car. Homes are often located in an area where restaurants, libraries, grocery stores, hospitals and other businesses are easier to get to by car than on foot.

Click here to go to the previous post on WalkScore

.

2 comments:

  1. For my neighborhood, it scores a 78 out of 100-- It is really easy to drive around when you live near a popular "hip" area. I live less than two miles from Crystal City and Pentagon City Mall in Arlington, just off from 395.
    If I need to do my holiday shopping or get a nice and fancy haircut, I just hop on a local bus which will take me to those places within 15 minutes.
    I think they should develop a parking score to accompany this drivescore-- how easy can you find a parking spot in a certain area, and whether it is metered or not???

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you're located in a good community. yep, agreed about parking spots! that's important. on the drivescore site, they admit that they don't measure the street width (narrow streets means more traffic/slower driving) and not all of the businesses are updated, so maybe a drive score is skewed by the incorrect number of businesses in the area. at least they acknowledge their weaknesses... but parking spots is a new one and should be considered by drivescore.

    also, there should be a public transportation score! does an area have good public transportation system? bus/metro/train?

    :)raychelle

    ReplyDelete